Memphis, Minnesota

Regular musings from a sleepy dog. That's me: Memphis Miller.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Who you calling timid?

Yesterday was my first visit to the doctor since I've been living in my new home. The lady behind the front desk began to squeal as soon as I came through the door in Laura's arms.

"Oh, just let me have my puppy moment," said the nice lady as she nuzzled her nose up to my face.

Then she reached into a jar and gave me two Milk-Bone dog biscuits, to which I busily attended. "It's good for him to have a positive memory of this place," she said.

They weighed me in at 21 lbs., which means I've grown a whopping 8 lbs. over three weeks! Score one for the little man!

While waiting in one of the rooms, I tried to be calm and on my best behavior while curling up on Laura's lap. Of course, her massaging my back made me very sleepy. Then a man in a white coat came through the door and introduced himself as Dr. Olson. (We are in Minnesota, after all.) Laura plopped me on a metal table, while Dr. Olson checked my heartbeat. I wasn't really comfortable, so I kept my tail between my legs.


"How long have you had him?"

"A little over a week."

"How's he been?"

"He's been good. Well, he had a couple accidents in his crate yesterday."

Oh lordy. I could see where this was going.

"Sorry, he's kind of shy," Laura said to the doctor.

"He does seem timid," Dr. Olson said.

Sheesh. Would they rather see my rascalian side? Why don't they cut to the chase? I'm a bashful bed-wetter with separation issues! I'm a little clingy and have a tendency to please! I'm stubborn on a leash! I wimp out on long walks! I eat geese poop!

But before they could continue, another woman came through the door to hold me down. Dr. Olson gave me a quick shot in my back, and I didn't even squirm. Then he opened a tube of yellow goo -- roundworm prevention -- which I eagerly lapped up. Laura snorted from laughing when she saw the creamy ooze dripping down my jowls.

Then the conversation went back to my "issues."

"I've never met a dog who didn't like to walk," Laura said.

She said I was "difficult" on our outings and mentioned the bit where I like to lay flat on my stomach and make her drag me rather than walk beside her on a leash. Just when I thought nothing good could come out of this, Laura asked if there was such a thing as "overwalking" me.

Dr. Olson said, "If he's beginning to lag and fall behind, then it's too much. He's just a puppy. His joints are still growing. He should be fine for a few blocks at a time."

Did he say "a few blocks"?

Laura: "Oh, just a few blocks? Like, 20 minutes tops?"

Dr. Olson: "Ten to 15 minutes should be fine, and if possible, try to do that twice a day."

Note he did not recommend the 45-minute vertical expeditions that have been part of my morning and evening routines. I hate to say I told you so, but, there's often a reason for my whine.

Unfortunately, it didn't stop Jesse and Laura from taking me on another nature hike later that evening. Against my better judgment, we took to a rugged river trail with steep inclines. I fell off a small cliff, in fact, and landed perfectly in a pile of leaves. Surprisingly, it didn't faze me. I've been told I looked content, kind of similar to the way I'm sitting in this laundry basket.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home